Tuesday 29 January 2008

Can't think of a title today!

A couple of things I was going to mention yesterday but forgot (distracted by the Scotsman I think!) First of all thank you very much to Zoe who has nominated me for another You Make My Day Award. I'm honoured that anyone wants to read my blog let alone considers that I make their day. As I've already passed this one on before I won't do it again but instead just graciously accept - thank you Zoe!




Secondly, I'm sure some of you will have already read this in the Sunday Times Magazine but I was so amazed and touched by this "Life in the Day" article about Alice Hertz-Sommer that I wanted to share it. Alice is a Holocaust survivor and saw both her mother and her husband taken to camps, never to see them again. This amazing lady is 104 years old, she lives alone and cooks for herself. She walks twice a day (she used to swim 20 lengths a day until she was 97) and plays the piano daily. Obviously she is blessed to have her health and be of sound mind but nevertheless she is still extraordinary.


Photograph by Sam Holden

She is pictured in front of a portrait of her son, Raphael who died in 2001. It was her finishing words that made such an impression on me - "Every night, when I go to sleep, I think I've had another wonderful day, and tomorrow I will repeat it all over again." Her joy for life shows in her beautiful face (there's michief there too I think!) A lesson there for us all!

Not much else to share today - I've been sewing but nothing I can show you as I've been working on my Valentine swap, a couple of surprises and my 100th post giveaway and I don't want to spoil the surprises for the recipients. A little glimpse of the giveaway perhaps... I've been making something from this lovely Martha Negley cake fabric (another Liberty purchase), some unusual shot silk that came from India (you can just about see the purple running through the brown) and some woven cake ribbon by lfn textiles. More about this tomorrow...

There were more muffins today too. This time they were cinnamon crunch flavour voted by the boys as the best flavour yet (though the ginger came a close second). They are pretty much plain vanilla muffins but with a layer of crunch provided by chopped pecans, soft brown sugar and cinnamon.

9 comments:

  1. The ribbon is gorgeous, Gina - I shall be off to have a look at that site I think. Sounds like you've had a busy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy muffins and beautiful material!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen the item about Alice Hertz-Sommer but she is certainly an amazing lady. I have a friend who will be 97 in June and she lives alone and looks after herself completely. You have to admire such strong ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed that about Alis Hertz-Sommer. but I did see her on another birthday on TV and she played her piano then. A very wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's nearly your 100th post,doesn't time fly.
    The Scotsman isn't too bad a distraction.
    Alice Hertz-Somme certainly has a posotive outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice Hertz-Sommer's attitude to life is one we should all share and her face is so full of life - what an amazing lady!
    Your fabrics and ribbon are beautiful, I can't wait to see what you make with them.
    Very yummy muffins too - I love anything with cinnamon - mmmmmmm!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your award - very well deserved.

    Alice Hertz-Sommer sounds an amazing person - I didn't see the article. Thank you for mentioning her.

    Those muffins look gorgeous - my son's favourite cookies are some cinnamon and ginger ones I make - I think he'd like those muffins too!

    Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The muffins look and sound delicious - shame I've gone back to Weight Watchers really!!! The cupcake creation looks great too - can't wait to see what you turn it into! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for posting my ribbon -- it looks great with the cupcake fabric. When I designed it a few years ago I had no idea how seriously everyone would soon be taking lovely little cakes...

    I have a blog myself: www.lfntextiles.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.