Friday 18 January 2008

Mad Hatter?

We had a lovely MBC meeting on Wednesday - good food, plenty of wine and we even got to swap books. I swapped The Memory Keeper's Daughter for this, which I've started reading but I'm not sure I like the style. But I will persevere and report back.


Now you could be forgiven for thinking I've turned my hand to Millinery, what with the recent strawberry hat, tea cosy hat and now this - the birthday cake hat! But no - I'm retiring from hat making. This was made for a friend as her catering business is ten years old and they have a work party tonight. They always have a party in January, nearly always with fancy dress of some description and I have made various outfits for her in the past so I was grateful it was only a hat this time as it was another case of lots of glue gun and swearing (though fortunately no hand stitching)



I was grateful when it was finished and collected and I could move onto something more comfortable - both in terms of the production and the wearing (that hat was very uncomfortable!) I finally finished my latest pair of socks last night and they are very comfortable and colourful!



The yarn is Koigu Yarn (colour P912) that I bought from Get Knitted at the Knitting and Stitching show in October. It was beautiful to knit with and has a lovely texture but what I didn't realise until a couple of days ago when I actually read the label... it's HAND WASH ONLY!!!!



Which of course means that they either will not be worn very often or I'm going to have very smelly socks! A pity because they are perfect for keeping my feet cosy when I've got my feet up of an evening. And I do rather like them.



It does mean I can move onto the next pair though. These are for Stewart, made from yarn he chose when we were in Liberty at the weekend - 100% mashine washable I'm pleased to say!


Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Having got over my fabric envy for Lucy's fabrics I find I'm now stricken with a bad case of sock envy!!! They are lovely but how annoying that they are hand wash - glad to know someone else is not a label reader ;-)
    One of these days I'll learn to knit socks too! Until then I shall content myself with looking ot everyone else's sock loveliness :)
    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started reading my copy of TFNKC and am enjoying it so far. Love your socks and that hat is fabulous even if it isn't comfortable! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snazzy feet-I love your candy striped socks.I started knitting a pair of socks in November or October I can't remember, but so far I have made one sock.Can you tell me where you got your knitting pattern from.My pattern seems to have some instructions missing so I had to make some of it up as I went along.One sock came out looking normal but now I have to make the other one!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sox Gina! I always forget to read the label too. Usually after a couple of careful washes I forget and they end up in the machine! Not a domestic goddess then!! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Birthday Hat!! What fun!

    Ths socks are lovely and cozy-looking, but the handwashing would blow me away. You could felt them and give them as a baby gift... he,he.

    Have a nice weekend!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. He hee...I laughed at lesley's comments about having sock envy! As I am experiencing that now after reading this post. Your feet look very snug and happy (if feet can look happy then yours certainly do!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh please tell me you have kept going with that book. It is a fabulous 'fluffy' read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.