Tuesday 8 January 2008

Metamorphosis

For the Opus assessment day on Saturday we have to take a "carefully selected body of work" and I can't help thinking what we leave out is as important as what we take. There is a temptation to cram everything in but I think that will work against me so instead I'm agonising over every piece and every sketchbook page wondering which pieces of work best reflect the module citeria - a slow process considering I have filled four large sketchbooks over the past four months. And of course I want to put in the best pieces, or at least the bits of work that I like best. I will definitely include my "Faces on the Train" which I think is my favourite piece of work, plus a selection of my larger drawings.



I've also just finished mounting four mixed media pieces that are the resolved studies for our final project. The project was titled Metamorphosis and I struggled for a long time not knowing which direction to take. I had lots of ideas but none that really screamed out to me. I finally decided I wanted to show change and transformation over time having been influenced by the work of Anya Gallaccio. I set up a still life of fruit and flowers which I photographed daily over three weeks, recording the gradual decay. I also made four large drawings during this time - which I hated! All this was going on in the lead up to Christmas, the still life was getting smellier and more disgusting on a daily basis and I despaired of ever getting anything worthwhile out of the project. Then on the advice of my tutor I focused on the detail choosing a single tulip and this is the result... I think I like them, but you know how it is when you've looked at something for too long.









I was delighted to throw out that flower arrangement though! Here they are as a group of four. Now to get on with the rest of the selecting and labelling of all the other work! I expect I'll change my mind a dozen times between now and Saturday.


7 comments:

  1. fantastic-beautiful work you have no need to worry Gina. The tulips are gorgeous,I love your choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crumbs! That is scarily good work Gina - I am in total awe! I think I will stick with simple sewing and knitting with the odd sock monkey thrown in! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Gina! What a lot of work you have been doing! Your tulip series is impressive. Do I detect layers of text or symbols under the surface? I can imagine the difficulties of making choices but I doubt that you have any worries. 4 large sketchbooks in 4 months is an awesome amount of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tulips are gorgeous! I'm sure you'll do great on Saturday. Your work is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I have given you the "You Make My Day Award" for your friendly and inspiring blog. The details are in my today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you have anything to worry about Gina! Your work is INCREDIBLE. Love, love your tulips. And the faces on the train look wonderful too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tulips. Fantastic how they evolved. And the Faces, I wish I could draw like that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.