Monday 28 January 2008

A perfect day!

What a lovely weekend! The sun has been shining and although a little premature there has been a definite air of Spring. The sun has actually had some warmth, the birds have suddenly burst into song and the primroses are emerging in the woods. No doubt it won't last but it is good to enjoy it whilst it's here.

I had a good day in Sevenoaks on Saturday, meeting my friend Jude first. We went to the Grace Barrand design centre to see the exhibition "Select" which had some interesting pieces. Then after a very nice lunch at the centre we went to the Embroiderers Guild to give a talk to about sixty ladies - think this could be the start of a double act! In the evening Stewart and I went to friends for a traditional Burns Supper of Haggis, neeps and tatties. (Julie has given a lovely description of this tradition.) Stewart even wore his kilt!




I was going to tell you this was him... but I would be fibbing! Sorry if the bare bum offends but I think it's quite nice! (You could always quickly scroll down the page!)


Sunday was another glorious day which was spent with my Mum and Dad but this morning we woke up to a damp foggy start and almost didn't go ahead with our trip to the seaside. But I'm so glad we went because this was Aldeburgh when we arrived. Who would believe this was England in January!




We had a long stroll along the beach where there were plenty of boats and fishermen. I loved the colours on this boat.



One of the reasons I wanted to visit Aldeburgh was to see this sculpture by Maggi Hambling - one of my favourite artists. It is called "Scallop" and is a tribute to the life of Benjamin Britten and his life on the Suffolk coast. I don't think it was particularly well received when it was erected on the beach but I think it is stunning!




The words are cut out of the stainless steel and read "I hear those voices that will not be drowned" - a line from the Britten opera "Peter Grimes"




This picture below, of Stewart standing beside it gives you some idea of the scale of the piece. There is a sign inviting you to sit on the sculpture and contemplate the sea.





As you can see, I was rather taken with it! After that long walk it was time for lunch... we found this rather promising fish and chip shop.


As the weather was so good we were tempted to sit outside and eat our fish and chips straight from the paper... But there there were so many of these chaps hovering about we sat inside the restaurant instead. They were the best fish and chips I've tasted in a long time!



And to round off a rather perfect day, when I got home there was a surprise package waiting for me! Inside was this lovely card (I would like the pattern for that bunny!) and a fat quarter of this cute fabric - a present from Angela. Angela doesn't have a blog (yet!) but is a frequent visitor to this and other blogs - as is her other half Neil (better known as "admin") Thank you so much Angela - it was a lovely surprise!



12 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm! An interesting selection of photos there Gina - certainly kept me on my toes!!!! But definitely not offended!

    That scallop sculpture seems to be a bit like the good old Angel of the North - for years people thought it was a monstrosity (including me, I think!) and now it is a local icon!

    Lovely goodies at the end!

    Can't wait to see you in London!

    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, those are lovely pics, its looks like you had a great day.
    A lovely suprise to come home to too, i agree the pattern would be great for the rabbit, so cute.
    Have fun in London.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not in the least bit offended Gina but a little disappointed that it is not Mr Fan My Flame ;)

    Your day out at the seaside looks perfect and it was lovely to have some spring sunshine wasn't it?

    I love the sculpture - I'm a big fan of public art like that - I love the Angel of the North too.

    Gotta go as I have a few glasses of wine to see to before the diet starts tomorrow!!!!

    lesley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You brave girl... applause!!

    In the states everyone wants to know if the Scots wear anything under their kilts. I quess that photo answers the question... or is this just an oddity??
    Hugs to you,
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I beat him!. I'm glad you had an ejoyable day. We have had lovely weather here in our part of Lincolnshire and I wondered how it was with you.
    What a nice selection of photos. It's a difficult choice but my favourite is the scallop-you know it's going to improve with age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh - great scots! .... I mean SHOTS!

    .... nearly as good as your picture on Saturday 19 - those GORGEOUS muffins! I'll bet they didn't hang around long ....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo ... that bum has cheered me up no end. Erm, well, his end, anyway :-D

    I love the sculpture - it's huge!

    Fabulous photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. rvy bum Gina, but I must admit at 'my age' I preferred the lovely curves on the shell sculpture. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gina, I have been to that Fish and Chip shop! When it opens in the evening the queues are down the street it is so popular. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE Aldeburgh - it's been a couple of years since we went (on a very cold and blustery February day) but we really enjoyed the scallop sculpture, and we had chips from the very same shop! Lots of lovely little shops to browse around too. It looks like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post Gina! The photos of Aldeburgh are lovely and I appreciated the pics of the sculpture - I would love to see it myself. Thanks for the cheeky kilter too!
    (Thank you for the link to my blog too!):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't offended by the bare bum, it finally answers that eternal question.

    The sculpture is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.