Wednesday 30 January 2008

Wow... 100 posts!

What was I doing yesterday afternoon?
Slicing these...


To get these... (I was going for the artistic approach here!)


Ending up with a pan full of this...


Which I boiled up like this...


To make several jars ...


Of this!


I'm not at all sure why I make marmalade because I'm the only person in my house that eats it. Can you believe I'm married to a man from Dundee who hadn't even tasted marmalade until he met me! So I usually end up giving most of it away. But still every year I cannot resist buying the Seville Oranges and making another batch of marmalade. I think it must have something to do with their limited availability so I always buy some because I'm worried I'll miss out! I got this bowlful from our local farm shop a couple of weeks ago so thought I'd better get something done with them before they shrivelled up.

I've also resurrected this from the bottom of a cupboard and have been having fun discovering rag rugging... but I'll tell you more about this tomorrow...



Was there anything else... oh yes... I'm 100! Well not me personally you understand but this is my 100th post. Quite unbelievable that I've got this far and can still find stuff to ramble on about! So to celebrate and to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my rambling... a giveaway! I've made a clutch bag from the fabrics that I mentioned yesterday. A simple folded bag in brown/purple shot silk.



With a woven ribbon trim on the reverse.


And some non fattening cakes hidden inside.




This photo was taken in the sunlight which shows the way the silk is shot through with purple.



So, if this takes your fancy, please leave a comment by Sunday evening (2nd February) and I will put all names in a hat and draw out a winner on Monday morning. I'm sure there will be some other little goodies finding their way inside the bag too.
* * *
I thought I'd finish with a couple more shots of Joe on his travels. The boys are now in New Zealand and judging by the hundreds of photos on Facebook they are having a brilliant time.


I'm not sure who he was trying to kid here but the laughter from his friends rather gives the game away!



This is more like it Joe!

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations to 100 posts!
    Your marmalade looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hundredth birthday Gina! Love those shots of Joe - he looks like he's having a great time!

    My mum always makes proper marmalade but I've only ever done the cheat's version with a tin of Mamade! I hope you enjoy yours!

    Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 100th Gina, I wonder if I will ever make it.
    Joe looks as if he is having a great time, one of my boys travelled. Where is Joe going next, China is hard work but Thailand sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your 100th - will you be getting a telegram from the Blog Queen? :-D

    I can just smell that marmalade - my grandmother used to buy seville oranges every year and do just as you've done. I'm not fond of oranges, but I can still appreciate the wonder of freshly made marmalade. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just found your blog via Purple Podded Peas and also want to congratulate you on your 100 blog posts. It's great milestone. You've reminded me to make marmalade too-yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the 100th post Gina !!
    I'd love to have a go at rag rugging so cant wait to see what you make.
    Handsome boys you have.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gina, Congrats on a century of blog postings!
    I've just started a posting which has links to Cambridge Open Studios members' blogs, and have put a link to Fan My Flame. Looks as though threadspider has already found it (that was quick!!!!)

    That marmalade looks jolly good - one of my favourite afternoon snackettes is home-made marmalade spread on a buttered rice cake!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations 100 posts and we still can't get enough.Looking forward to tomorrows post-are you making eyes for a sock puppet?. I used to make marmalade as well don't quite know why as I can't stand the stuff.
    Joe looks as if he is having a great time-nice catch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Hundreth, and lots lots more of blogs all the best Hippopip

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh clever lady ! A give away to encourage comments - and look ...... it worked :0)

    Lovely marmelade , great bag and as ever, great work .

    Have you heard back from Opus yet ?

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 100th Post Gina!!!! Your marmalade looks beautiful. My local farm shop had seville oranges in last week. I may have to go back tomorrow and get some!

    The clutch bag is gorgeous - I love that button!

    I could happily find it a home :)

    Lesley xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Gina! 100 posts and counting. here's to the next 100. :))

    I used to make the cheats marmalade too. I'm only allowed shredless these days :(

    Wow! New Zealand! Good to know Joe is safe and enjoying himself. He'll have so many tales to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops! I forgot! The bag is gorgeous, I love the lining too! It's ok. I'm not trying to get two go's!...... Oh alright! Yes I am! Well, a girl can try can't she? lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good going on the 100th post. It's amazing how fast the time passes when blogging.

    The Seville marmalade looks delicious. I think it's hard to find these oranges here - my sister always manages to get some and once in awhile, I am gifted with a jar. It is truly delicious marmalade!

    I arrived here via Celia's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 100th!! all the way from Canada. I'm not sure what I love more: the gorgeosity :-) of that silk bag or the delightful lining! A delightful yin and yang.

    I haven't made Seville Orange Marmie for years!! You almost ... almost have me convinced.

    Gorgeous works of art by the way.

    Diane
    Alberta Postcards
    Diane's Flickr photos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 100th post...may there be another 100+. As aMom of boys I loved these pictures, to think one day my young guys will grow to be big guys...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on 100.
    Can marmalade be made form any other sort of orange??

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats!! and good luck with the rag rugging. I hooked a rug for c&g, really enjoyed doing it using all recycled and overdyed fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy hundred! Very impressed with the marmalade - been perfecting my lemon curd skills recently but thinking I might move on to oranges after reading this. Love the bag such cute fabric so please put my name in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!
    Do let us know how the rag rug making went...I have been tempted to try this but not been brave enough.
    Take care,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh congratulations Gina! The marmalade looks delicious. I have failed, yet again, to make any this year ;-)

    Joe's trip looks like great fun - what an opportunity!

    (Don't put me in the draw - what with already being your swap partner, I'd feel terribly greedy!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos of your marmalade making exploits, and what a gorgeous bag! That lining looks just yummy!

    Isn't the internet just the best? It must be lovely to be able to keep up with your son's New Zealand adventures. (If it was me I'd be wishing I was there too though!)

    :)

    ps. Many congrats on reaching your centenary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your marmalade brings back memories of my mother and grandmothers doing the same. I've never got round to making marmalade myself, but have been know to make jam and chutney!

    Happy 100th post and a virtual toast to the next 100!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exiting, I've just found you (via Purple podded peas) and there you are inspiring me to find my fabric scraps basket and DO something with it. Happy Hundredth!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Gina, congratulations on your 100th post. Not sure which is the scrummiest - the marmalade or the bag. The shot silk looks stunning.

    Do you fancy swopping a jar of marmalade for a sponge cake?!!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday, so to speak. I'm not a marmalade person myself, but I did make jam for several years, despite DH and at least one of my kids not liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on 100 posts!!

    I love the maramalade...I tried to make some jam last week and failed miserably!!!

    I love the way the sunlight changes the colours on the clutch purse.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm... marmalade!

    Congratulations on 100 posts!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.