Monday 5 May 2008

I'm so excited...

...and to be honest it doesn't take much! But I finished my honeycomb plastic bag skirt. It was all a bit of an experiment and I was never quite sure it would work but it has! I think if I was to make it again (which I'm NOT going to do) it would have a few more layers and be slightly longer but overall I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out.



There have been one or two of you who asked would I be modelling the said garment but although I can get it on, until I've shifted a few pounds you'll have to be content with seeing it on my super skinny dressmaker dummy!



Although this has been the resolved project for my assignment on Dress as a Sculptural form it is also serving a dual purpose. There is a competition being held by Cambridge University to create an outfit using only Sainsbury's plastic bags. I've never entered anything like this before but thought it might be a bit of fun. However, a skirt alone does not constitute an outfit and so I am knitting the bodice... from orange plastic bags of course!


The outfit has to be finished by the end of this month and winners will be modelled at a catwalk show at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in June... so you may see me modelling it yet!
There have been lots of other samples for the degree made over the past couple of weeks too and because I've not made a collage for a while... here they are! These are for my last assignment which is Sculptural Form (but not in the context of dress). I've still got to resove this assignment and then consolidate everything I've done so far... all in time for assessment day on 16th May! ... so why am I blogging????


19 comments:

  1. what a labour of love, but well worth it - it looks excellent. I like the look of the knitting too - can't wait to see it all finished. This is surely going to be a winner in the competition - how is it being judged?

    Monda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina that skirt is astounding! As you know I have been breaking out in cold sweats on your behalf at the thought of making it - but it is soooo good! And I love the idea of the knitted bodice - just shown it to Dorothy who was really impressed - I suggested we try knitting a Sainsbury's carrier bag bag sometime - she was rather bemused at that! Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you!. That really is taking recycling to the extreme. When you have finished the bodice I think you should take a photo and send it to Sainsbury's chairman.
    Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina - you are amazing!!!!! That skirt is fantastic. Good luck with the knitted bodice - I tried crocheting some plastic bags the other day and hated every minute of it. It was supposed to make a nice big bag but ended up as a grotty little bowl!!!!

    I'd love to see you modelling your outfit ;)

    Good luck with the competition!

    Your collage is fab too - I can't get over just how much you've done recently. Your pieces all look great.

    Do you sleep?

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the finished item is just stunning! I love it.and the bodice looks great so far too, the contrast of textures will be really nice. Best of luck with the comp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Gina! That's fantastic. And the knitting idea is even better.

    Have you been to the current exhibition at Kettles Yard? - very interesting (if mind bending) and sort of applicable to your amazing cellular skirt. My favourite exhibits were these http://www.flickr.com/photos/21541981@N02/

    Celia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh - great work. I'm new to your blog, but will return on a regular basis.... So inspiring.

    Sorry you wouldn't model the skirt yourself ;O) I can't begin to figure out the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    How very clever and it looks so good. It should make a fabulous sound when it is modelled - very swishy.
    Chers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Gina - that is amazing. You are such a clever blogger ( ;-) ) Good for you for entering the competition - I hope you do really really well.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like everyone else, I have to chime in too... this is STUNNING, Gina. You must have some super-human sewing skills to construct a skirt with such insane detail!!! You need to win the top prize:) Love to see the whole outfit on a model.

    Happy days,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! A piece of art! I am crossing my fingers! Is there a juicy reward for you if you win?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow your skirt is stunning, Good luck with the competition. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Wow! Your skirt is fabulous! But are you a glutton for punishment or what, with that top?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dress is going to be fabulous - I hope I get to see it 'in the flesh' !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic Gina! Fabulous work! I am sure you must be working all night at the moment. Your collage looks great too. Good luck with the competition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *bow* *bow* I am down here on the floor,(waves) genuflecting in front of such natural talent. That is one terrific skirt.

    And just imagine- with the whole 'plastic bags last forever' kind of thing you would only have to go shopping once every 50 years! Best watch out the clothing industry doesn't hear about this - suggest asking Monkee Maker and Moogsmum for 007 and Ruby(respectively)for protection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gina, thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I am so glad to have met you - the pictures of your work are amazing - good luck with the assessment and the competition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.