Monday 14 September 2009

Busy Weekend!

It's been non stop activity here this weekend. Saturday started with a drive up to Peterborough to Art and Stitch where I was teaching a Tyvek Day. Ten ladies spent the day making flowers, seed heads and beads the results of which you can see here... didn't they do well!

I spent the day making a mess... the results of which you can see here!

A friend, Jenny, came to stay on Saturday evening and then on Sunday Jenny and I headed off to Cambridge for an ERTF lunch at Jesus college, collecting Mary Cozens-Walker on the way. We had a fabulous lunch, saw some amazing sculpture and were treated to a wonderfully inspirational talk by Michael Brennand Wood. On the way home Jenny and I were invited in for tea and cake with Mary and had a little tour of her studio which was wonderful... I now want to rearrange my studio (... room.) I didn't take my camera but you can see more of the lunch here and here... can you spot me?

Back home I thought I'd better do some homework. I haven't started my life drawing classes yet but I have recorded some life classes that were broadcast on Channel 4 a couple of months ago. The following couple of pictures were ones I made from a class taught by Maggi Hambling, whose work I love... I quite liked the look of the model, Matthew too!!!


I thought I would then try some "real life" rather than work from the telly but my men were very unsporting and refused to take their clothes off... Stewart said "Not so likely... it'll end up on your blog"... so here he is pretending to read (he was actually dozing!)

And Joe reading too!

And finally I thought I better pick the PIF winners... and here they are...


There weren't very many wanted to play and for a while I thought about sending each of you a gift... but then common sense prevailed and so Mavis, Maria and Twiggy... you will be getting gifts from me sometime in the next twelve months. All you have to do when you receive them is pay it forward to another three people.
I've got a week of more stewarding, teaching and homework... but I'll be back soon.

21 comments:

  1. And I thought I was busy! We went to Jesus to see the sculptures on Saturday - we loved it, and we adored the porter who took us around! Then I visited ERTF show - and it was lovely, every bit of it. Once I get the Jesus photos off Rupert's phone I hope to post about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gina -- it looks like you had a wonderful weekend! I loved your "mess", Mary's art is beautiful, and clearly Stewart knows you well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina
    I took a trip to Cambridge yesterday to view the ETRF exhibition and I loved it - well worth the drive! what a talented group of people you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the life sketches, Joe reading is really lovely and I think you should embroider it onto a huge cushion! I mean it's not like you haven't got time to fill is it?!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a thimbleful.....


    Didn't we have a lovely day yesterday! And the sculptures were the icing on the cake. I shouldn't have done my blog so late at night, as soon as I went to bed I remembered Jenny's name - sorry, Jenny, and I did love your leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could draw like that. I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a fab weekend - very creative. Where did my weekend go?

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What clever students you had in your class - lovely flowers, beads etc. That is such a beautiful gateway to Jesus College. Your sketches look as if you don't need drawing classes - just make sure you keep your mind on your drawing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite like the look of model Matthew too!!!! You did a very good job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh errr missus!! You put me right off what I was going to say. The flowers. The flowers. Ah yes! The Tyvek technique you use for the flowers would be perfect for poinsettias for ["C-word"] - are we allowed to say it yet? OK (whispering) Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are beautiful, clever ladies and talented teacher! And your sketches are excellent. can't imagine why Stewart wouldn't oblige, after all, we've seen his legs :-)

    Is the sculpture staying in Cambridge for a while or even permanently or will it go elsewhere before I can get down to see it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Maggi Hamblings work. Such strength in it. How lovely to have had such a creative weekend and met people with similar interests. Enjoy your life drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed the PIF :( ... Your drawings are really amazing, I wish i could draw like that .. the pictures seem very fluid particularly the one of Joe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your drawings are very good, I wish I had your talent. I went to the ERTF exhibition it was brilliant and I think every body else should go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those Tyvek flowers - really beautiful. I watched a couple of the Life Drawing programmes, and I know what you mean about the male model!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for having me as your pif -that's sooo lovely! am well excited.
    i think i would like to bring Matthew home-just for homework purposes you understand!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those flowers.
    I wish I had time to have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The flowers are lovely and your life drawings amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Sooooo busy! I can't work without making a mess either so I'm very glad I'm in such good company!!!! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooo lovely thanks for including me in your PIF, I'll email you pronto. Your drawings are wonderful. I wish I could draw. I've been speaking to a local gallery that are starting life drawing classes soon which is something I'd love to do (draw not pose:) I'm putting it on hold for a little while though as I have another project in mind first.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Wow! Michael Brennand-Wood! I am so envious, was it a good talk? I go to life drawing (when I'm not doing puppy sitting) and it's really hard work, but very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.