Friday 25 September 2009

The drawing saga continues...

The second lot of drawings received a more positive response from my tutor "Much, much better, but...." The "but" was about using more variety of marks and making marks over marks (all of which I thought I'd been doing). So out came the charcoal again and I tried a looser approach but to no avail. Another tutorial and now my charcoal drawings have been declared "too waffly." Back to the drawing board it is then! (I confess I do rather enjoy the challenge)

For the next part of my assignment I now have to desconstruct my drawings (don't ask because I'm not sure) and produce a further piece of work that builds on the essence and identity of my sketchbook... I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile I had a enjoyable life drawing class this week where I did the following:

A four and then three minute sketch above, this ten minute sketch below...

And the following twenty minute sketch. A relaxed couple of hours without worring about outlines or waffle.

And should you live within easy reach of South Cambridgeshire, this might be of interest.

Featuring some interesting work from Anthony Green, Mary Cozens-Walker and Kate Green... one of whom just happens to be my tutor! If you come on Saturday I'll be there... do say hello!

18 comments:

  1. Will try to come along over the weekend - which weather god did you bribe then?

    I think your drawings are lovely, but then you already know that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your process. and envy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're having so much fun Gina. I can't believe you can draw them so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you doing your degree...I definitely don't envy you doing life drawing or having to carry out instructions that don't mean anything! I remember those very well! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think your drawings are amazing!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this would be a challenge too far for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if drawing like that is waffling, then I wish I could waffle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your staying power - your tutor would put me right off!! The sketches are wonderful and so strong. The exhibition sounds great - if I wasn't so far away I'd certainly come and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky, lucky you........ Enjoy! I loved your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grief Gina, I'm amazed you don't give up with a tutor that uses 'bu' in her feedback!!! I was taught to use the phrase 'to further improve your work....' . I think you're doing just great! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a thimbleful...

    I'm jolly glad I'm not doing that drawing course, what a hard task master! Bet Leonardo didn't have someone telling him he was waffly.


    I'd love to come to your exhibition, but a Rotary Quiz this evening (me doing 40 baked potatoes etc) and church flowers tomorrow - I will see if I can get over on Sunday afernoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gina,
    I think your sketches are great!
    lovely flowing marks.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thought of trying to draw anything resembling a real person brings me out in a cold sweat! I'm truly impressed by what you have done!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never cease to amaze me - it doesn't seem to matter what the next challenge is you just smile, jump in and start swimming.

    Go Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done for keeping going! Love your drawings with no buts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't realised that this was on I saw a lot of bits at the royston arts festival this weekend, might have gone on a diversion to steeple morden if I had been a little more aware.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your charcoal sketches are brilliant, especially the last one, 2hr pose, you've caught the attitude really well, it has a lovely relaxed feel and your enjoyment shows through.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.