Wednesday 17 March 2010

Stitched Portraits

Regular readers will know that I'm no stranger to stitched portraits. I can frequently be spotted surreptitiously sketching people on trains and in restaurants which I then translate into stitch. But this week I've tried a different approach and have ended up with something a lot more cartoon like... and fun!

One of the other tutors in Jersey last week was Louise Gardiner. If you are not familiar with Louise's work then check out her website... her portraits are totally mad and fun... a lot like Lou! As well as being incredibly talented she is also a lovely lady... after all what's not to like about someone who buys you a hot water bottle on only the second day you've met. (We had heating problems in our guest house... as in total lack of!)

Louise was teaching classes in free machine embroidery and getting the students to draw fabulous whacky portraits using the sewing machine... (check out Angela's) and I was desperate to have a go. So this week in my Tuesday machine embroidery class I grabbed my chance. It was the last session this term so the students were given the task to make fabric postcards using any of the techniques we'd covered during the past two terms. And while they were busy stitching I made some of my own postcards based on some little drawings I did of each of the ladies in the class.


Free machined in black thread on calico and finished off with a touch of red... Margaret above and Helen below.

Vivien,

Joan,

Carole,

Jan,

and Thelma!

They were all busy trying to work out who they were meant to be so when they arrive tomorrow they'll know! You could be forgiven for thinking I teach a rather peculiar looking bunch of ladies but in real life they all look quite normal... honest! I was just glad that four of the ladies were on holiday yesterday or I would never have got them finished.

And while I was busy with the portraits the ladies finished their postcards too... which have also gone in the post today. Let's hope they bring a smile to a few posties' faces!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Gina,
    Louise was great wasn't she? I had to tell you that when I was in her class on Friday, a very strange thing was happening back home. My youngest daughter was admitted to hospital with a kidney infection, (not the first time)only to be told it wasn't she was in labour. She had had no signs of pregnancy, still wore her size 8 jeans, just her boyfriend had put on a bit of weight. Anyway, she produced a beautiful baby girl and I had to give her one of Louise's books about breast feeding as I had bought some for her 3 big sisters who are all pregnant - due in August/ September. What a year!!!!
    See you next year?
    Muriel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable Gina! Did the ladies guess correctly for the most part?

    ReplyDelete
  3. o wow - those portraits are amazing Gina!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your portraits are sooo good I wish mine looked that good.
    the postcards are lovely especially the poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful portraits, they should all be delighted! Hope you're nicely warmed up now you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely portraits, love the style of them. It's only since discovering blogging that I have come to learn of these textile postcards. They look such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a crazy idea ,might try it myself ,it seems drawing doesnt have to be a priority ,(dont mean that in a cheeky way ) ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fantastic ... each and every one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great portraits. Takes me back to the course I did with Louise in November - she is great fun. She has a streaming cold when she was with us but her enthusiasm and complete madness never waned - she is inspiring. I like your book of portraits - really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The portraits are brilliant Gina - I bet the ladies are all delighted. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your embroidered portraits are so brilliant and funny! Angela's work on her website is awe-inspring - I heard her on Woman's Hour last year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bit upset how could Angela think her portrait could look better, she had me as a model? Couldn't you tell, I thought the green hair gave it away. I love your portraits they are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the postcards Gina, and the stitched portraits are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are great Gina! Did the models approve? Lucyx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a thimbleful.....
    Lovely portraits, Gina - notice how many of them were wearing glasses? Faces must be in vogue because that is what I have been playing with !

    ReplyDelete
  16. The portraits are beautiful and fitting very well with your last degree module!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. Just to say that I am going to visit your orange dress on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great portraits - your students are going to be so thrilled when postie delivers!

    Glad you had a great time in Jersey....if a little chilly :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love your portraits and i think the postcards are fab.
    wishing you a happy weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gina,

    It sounds like you had a great week in Jersey, I hope ERTF went okay today, and thanks for your good wishes.

    Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are fabulous although I don't think I'll try it - my face is crumpled enough without using stitch and fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.