Sunday 15 August 2010

Rich, Dark...

and very seductive! When there is going to be a crowd for lunch this is the only cake that I ever consider making. It is ridiculously easy to make, consistently good and always a hit with everyone... Nigella's Chocolate Guinness Cake of course!

The family descended this weekend and we had eleven here for Sunday lunch. I won't bore you with the details of everything we had to eat but I have to to tell you about a new discovery.

I recently had a beetroot dip on a mezze plate at a restaurant. Being rather fond of beetroot and having a bumper crop again this year, I thought it would be fun to track down a recipe. Whilst browsing through Nigella Lawson's "Feast" on my way to finding the Guinness cake recipe I spotted a Beetroot Puree and thought it might just fit the bill.

Oh boy! Did it! This has to be one of the best things I've tasted in a long time... and even those family members who professed not to like beetroot thought it tasted pretty darn fine! In fact I'm off to have the left overs with a little warm pitta bread... heaven on a plate (followed by Guinness cake of course!)

18 comments:

  1. Yum, very yum! At least the beetroot dip is fairly non-fattening! I have a couple of Nigella's books but not Feast - must look out for it. It's always nice to know of 'road tested' recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh that cake looks scrum , must try that! The beetroot puree looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do make the yummiest treats Gina, I'm sure your family and friends get very excited when they know they're eating at your house!!!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm ... beetroot. I could eat it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I have that Nigella book too. I must try that guiness cake. It really looks so yummmmmmy! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beetroot lover here too, shall consult the book now I have seen your post. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. another reason to be planting beetroot this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to invest in this book. But Gina does all this cooking of Nigella recipes involve creeping down in the middle of the night in sexy nightwear to finish off the leftovers (I hope you watch her programme, or that will sound very odd) as I only wear flanelette nighties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both sound delicious. I have several of Nigella's cookbooks and don't recall either recipe. I must look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious! I adore beetroot, just linked on my blog to a delicious borscht (V simple) I made last night.

    Word verification: foode (how appropriate!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only seductive in other areas (like sketchbooks) but the food as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I managed to find the recipe here
    http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=20552
    So off to shops to buy some Guinness tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, all those folks were so lucky to be at your table.

    Both the deeply rich cake and that beetroot dip look scrumptious ... in totally different ways.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought for one awful minute you'd made your Christmas Cake!! (Sorry for the bad language!) The cake looks delish and I may have to try that Beetroot Puree as I'm partial to a little beetroot too. Well done on catering for so many. You're a star!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum the cake looked gorgeous and the puree sounded lovely - I am partial to a bit of beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bet the cake was lovely. I love fresh beetroot when it still warm from cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a huge fan of chocolate Guiness cake, too, but I've never used white frosting on it!?!? I'll have to try that next time.
    Yummmm...beets!
    (Love your new brooches, too!!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.