Friday 13 August 2010

Sketchbook Project VI

I've not really done anything new today but instead have taken the wax resist idea a little further. In my box of oil pastels I found a couple of metallic crayons and tried some simplified seed head shapes.

I then brushed over these with some black ink which really makes the shapes glow and stand out from the page.

I then started to think about how I could simplify them further and draw them without lifting my pen off the page (with a view to stitching them) and came up with a couple of doodles worked on scrap paper.


I then did the same shapes, again in the metallic oil pastels, this time in my sketchbook.


And another sweep of black and blue ink.

And the scrappy little doodles... they got stuck in the sketchbook too. I think the point I'm making here is that wherever ideas occur to you... jot them down, both sketches and written notes, on whatever scraps of paper you have to hand, because they can always be added to your sketchbook later, either glued in , stapled in or tied in.

I can see this taken further with metallic threads on a dark background, so to remind me I did a quick stitched "sketch" to tie into my book.

Now it's time to work a proper stitched sample!

I'm still enjoying seeing how bloggers have taken up this sketchbook challenge. Take a look at what Miriam has done here and here. And what Penny has done here and here.
Do let me know if you are joining in so that I can link back to you!

17 comments:

  1. I'm off here http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/en/accommodation/property/3842?u_id=95727
    for a week soon and will be joining in the sketchbook project from the beautiful garden - airport strikes permitting of course! Keep your fingers crossed for me that it all goes to plan ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina I threw a stencil ontop of yesterdays hydrangea heads and put a silver moonshadow mist spray over the top. I will add it to my blog tonight, interesting affect.
    Dont think I can stitch any of this but when my back stops bugging me I am heading for the sewing machine.
    Again thanks for all this fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so busy lately that I haven't joined in, but have really enjoyed seeing what you have done. I can see those poppy heads worked on soluble fabric in free machining to give a lacy effect. I think I shall use your sketchbook ideas for my next project as I have so many ideas buzzing at present and don't want to lose any of them. Thankyou for sharing them with us Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention, I'm really enjoying this, doing a bit more to it today. I hope to put it on my blog later. The black and blue in wash looks really good, not at that stage yet. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, it is great fun watching all the evolutions going on in and out of your sketchbook.

    The motif keeps telling me that you can make stick pins ... perhaps crocheting a bead with from silky/or woolly/or even cotton yarn, with a frill on the top that might have shiny beads around the edge. The catch for the pin could also mimic the seed pod, perhaps also the catch could have a crocheted cover?

    Keep going! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a scetchbook but my doodles were so bad I can't show anyone. Is there a way to learn how to draw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to catch up! No work now until next Thursday and then over a week on holiday after that! Must remember to take our sketchbooks away with us. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said that I might get a sketch book and join in! I have made some attempts that I have thoughly enjoyed doing. Thx.
    http://rhiannon-greenpatch.blogspot.com/2010/08/when-weather-is-against-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully inspiring as always Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inspiring Gina....and fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina they are fantastic well done - I wish i could muster the courage to try - I have the sktechbook!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your drawings are as good as ever. I love the black and blue ink. Do you use a particular brand of ink?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina I haveso enjoyed these sketching posts - I am going to get started!!! - are you going to FOQ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your ideas, I have just spent a happy half hour trying some out ...by the way the avacado skins worked wonderfully...will try some more when we get home...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous set of ideas Gina! Now I know what to do with my seaweedy inspiration from holiday, gathered from the beach in a pink bucket (much to the dismay of my family) then left to stew in the sun because I wasn't sure what to do with it...(some of it has come home with me, but don't tell my husband that...)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.