Wednesday 6 October 2010

Paper Lace

After being away in Devon last week (I had a lovely time, thank you ladies of the West Country Embroiderers) and the busy birthday weekend I started this week feeling rather down in the dumps, uninspired and lacking a single creative thought at all. But then a telephone tutorial this morning has got me all fired up again and after a very creative day I've felt inspired to share a little of what I've been working on.

My research into Frida Kahlo led me to looking at colourful mexican embroidery and the use of lace combined with rich colour and pattern. I'd love to wear that Jean Paul Gaultier dress on the top left in the picture above!

This got me started on some paper cutting resulting in the lace like sample above which I used to partially reveal, yet also conceal the floral design underneath. More paper cutting and I started to explore how colour and pattern could give lace a more masculine appearance.

I couldn't resist trying it out as a stencil too.

More sketchbook research led me to looking at corsetry and I was fascinated by the steel orthopaedic corsets dating back to the 16th century, whose cutout designs were very lace like.

Their resemblance to armour makes them quite masculine yet the imagery is very feminine.

This also brought to mind the work of artist Cal Lane whose beautiful cut metalwork has strong masculine form combined with feminine imagery. I'm loving how lace can be so contradictory.

And then I discovered these exquisite paper lace dresses by Rei Kawakubo and once again I was paper cutting.

And this time I painted the "lace" with metallic paints to resemble the armoured metal corsets.

I'm not entirely sure where any of this is leading but at least I'm having fun finding out... and my creative mojo has returned... for today at least! The next two days are going to be spent at the Knitting and Stitching show so maybe see some of you there.

27 comments:

  1. Fantastic post - your paper cuts are stunning. Surely you have a body of work here or at least the makings of one. Have a great time at the Show - wish I was going but feet and legs would conk out far too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hells teeth!!! I'm glad i don't have to wear a corset like those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your creative process posts!

    I'm doing a flying visit to the show tomorrow! Are you just looking/shopping or at a stand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe women would have worn those corsets, was it to straighten their backs then? The lace work is amazing and I love you paper lace cutouts! Wondering what you'll think of next for this idea! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a thimbleful.....


    WOW, Gina, did you really cut those papers? What accuracy and a steady hand ! I thought it must be a paper doyley! Well done you.
    I'm going to the K & S on Saturday, my purse is already throbbing......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never seen anything like those metal corsets before - they're quite beautiful aren't they? That piece of paper lace you have made is amazing - so much detail! It looks as though you had loads of fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the paper cutting stuff ......... glad you're having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, my fingers send sympathy to yours, but your papercuts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you use special scissprs tp dp those amazing paper cuts? i have never done anything but terribly simple stuff (joined dolls for the grand children!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear me -- I fear my fatlets would leak out through those pretty little holes in the corsets! Looks like you're having loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must have taken hours to do those paper cuts. I think the corset looks more like an implement for torture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina your paper lace is beautiful, can't wait to see what you do with your inspiration. but the corsets look like torture. knitting and stitching show - you lucky girl. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll say this for you, you wield a mean scalpel! Loved those metal spades, just beautiful. Enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful stuff informative and inspiring , car spray is great for paining lace into; a metalic structure. just love your stuff. judie

    ReplyDelete
  15. fabulous post. I love how you show your own work and also some work of other artists and from history . It all mixes together doesn't it.
    I think the path you are on looks intriguing and full of possibilities and wish you well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm so impressed with your paper cutting! And I so enjoy following your creative process. Those shovels are amazing.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  17. a great post - you have certainly got your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was one shot of inspiration! I am going to the K+S on Sunday. if I wanted to come and give you a little wave where might you be? xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too am fascinated by lace. I find your paper cuts extraordinary unto themselves. I've tried before without much success. You must have incredible eyesight and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love following these creative steps and seeing how your ideas develop. Aren't those corsets amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The paper cutting is amazing - you are very creative. Not sure about those corsets they do not look comfortable at all. Hope you enjoyed the Knitting & Stitching Show.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw the most fantastic movie about Frida's life recently and consequently got a couple of books about her. I LOVE her style - not only the surreal art but of her confidence - dress, hair, jewellery - what an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fascinating lace and cutouts Gina. I've enjoyed catching up with your blog. Happy birthday to Jacob. Hope you've enjoyed the K & S Show.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahh I will be going to Harrogate this year so we won't meet.
    I love your lace experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fascinating to see the creative path; thanks for sharing this. Very impressive paper cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. Did you do all this in one day???!! I found a quote today and thought of you and your buttons: "a competition for cheapness is the destruction of craftsmen" Josiah Wedgewood.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been reading all of your lace-related blog posts and am reminded of a wonderful exhibit from a year ago...
    My post about it...
    http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/2009/10/field-trip-lace-in-translation.html
    ...and the official website:
    http://www.philau.edu/designcenter/exhibitions/lace_in_translation.html
    Hugs--

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.