Friday 9 December 2011

Day :: Nine

More food for sharing:
Nigella's Christmas Rocky Road brought to my class on Wednesday. So naughty... but so good! (and about 7000 artery clogging calories per slice... at least)


And Almond Paste Mince Pies, brought to my class on Thursday. This is a recipe that I've been using for years, hand scribbled on a piece of paper. I constantly try new mince pie recipes but this is the one I always return to. And as so many of the ladies asked for the recipe here it is...


Pastry
4 oz softened butter
2oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
8oz plain flour.

Whizz all the ingredients for the pastry together in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of water. Roll out thinly and use to line 24 tart tins. Fill each one with a teaspoon of mincemeat.

Topping
6oz softened butter
2oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
6oz plain flour
1 teaspoon almond essence

Whizz all the topping ingredients in the food processor to make a soft paste and pipe this mixture onto the top of your mince pies. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 190 deg C. Serve warm or cold with a sprinkling of icing sugar.


I'm off to make another 60 of these now for our Embroiderer's Guild Christmas tea tomorrow... and I might just munch one or two as I go!

14 comments:

  1. The mince pies look really yummy! Think I'll give these a try as well as my normal recipe - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum and thrice yum!! My daughter-in-law has given me a jar of her homemade mincemeat so I shall try your recipe. Thankyou for sharing it.
    As for Rocky Road - it's going to be an uphill rocky road to health and fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having tasted one of thse delicious mincepies, I can tell you they are simply gorgeous! Thank you for the recipe Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rocky Road was lovely and Neil enjoyed his he was very touched that you remembered he liked it.I'm sure I didn't taste all those calories though just loveliness.The mince pies look equally as yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky students ;-)
    You're such a kind tutor Gina!

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! 7000 calories! My kind of cake ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you get rocky road and mince pies with the dvd lessons too ;-) Thank you for sending them out so promptly mine arrived otday and I'm looking forward to working with you chez moi. Shame about the rocky road though ;-) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drooling over the rocky road recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those mince pies - usually I am not a fan but those look delicious. I have the girls round on Monday night ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the mince pie recipe! There were mumblings today about the "lack of cake" in the house for the weekend - and now I now how to remedy that, first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can recommend Gina's mince pies I used her recipe last year they were delicious! The rocky road looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good old Nigella, no low fat options there! In fairness I love her mince pie recipe with a dash of orange juice added to the pastry. Makes all the difference. You are such a prodigious baker Gina... please don't tell me you're not a superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Rocky Road was so good I'm off to buy the marshmallows, blow the calories. I look forward to the mince pies today.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.