Friday 16 March 2012

Landscapes and Labradors

My regular machine embroidery group at the Settlement have been getting to grips with cable stitch this term (using thicker threads on the bobbin) and have been working on landscape pictures. As an example I took a sketch that I made in the grounds of Wimpole Hall last year...


and have turned it into this stitched landscape. I'm still debating whether to add the yellow flowers in the foreground.


Not everyone in class has finished yet but the results are looking good from those who have. Catriona based her landscape on those of Carol Naylor, with excellent results.


Margaret was inspired by her many visits to the David Hockney exhibition, again with stunning results... the colours just glow.


And I think Denise may have been inspired by New Zealand, as that is where she is now! Beautiful!


Of course I can't do a blog post these days without showing you the latest miniature book. My brief this time was a labrador theme. My own boy "Barley" provided the cover picture.


And the book sported a machine embroidered cover.


Although any labrador owner will tell you that the dog would not be walking away from the bone in the bowl!


Have a lovely weekend... Mums have a wonderful Mother's Day on Sunday... and I might be back next week... but so much to do and so little time as I'm also off to New Zealand in just one week!

17 comments:

  1. Your landscape is beautiful as it is Gina - I don't think it needs anything else. Your students' work is so good - they have all achieved the sense of distance.
    Love the 'Barley' matchbox book. Don't work too hard next week - leave some energy for enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work and such a cute little book.
    Have fun in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I meant to ask, what size are the landscapes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning little landscapes - have a wonderful time in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bon voyage Gina and a very Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The landscapes are great and yours is as perfect as ever without the flowers.Is that enough creeping to get me out of trouble re colour? Another beautiful little book.I'm so envious of you off to NZ you will have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all these are wonderful gina, i love your barley match book.
    have a wonderful trip
    anniex

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful interpretations of landscapes!

    Lovely doggie matchbox and book too. I bet you are excited about your forthcoming trip........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super stitching - a very talented group of students, who obviously have a very talented tutor! I like the disappearing tail on the tiny book. Have a great day tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful landscapes!
    I love the waggy tail. :)
    Have a great weekend and a lovely Mothers Day,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous landscapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't those pieces beautiful? You are such an inspiration.

    Have a marvellous time with your Mum in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great landscapes, I must try mastering cable stitch. Bet you are getting very excited now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, beautiful embroidery! I love the doggie books too, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The landscapes are just amazing! And you are absolutely right about the Lab and the bone :) K x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The landscapes are great and yours is as perfect as ever without the flowers.Is that enough creeping to get me out of trouble re colour? Another beautiful little book.I'm so envious of you off to NZ you will have a great time. Shade Trees For Sale

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.