Monday 23 April 2012

Back to Normal?

Well... as normal as I ever am. Apart from a little extra sleepiness at either end of the day I seem to be back to normal in the middle and it has been a busy weekend of sharing lots of food with friends, interspersed with a little work. We went to friends for supper on Friday and had a wonderful evening with excellent food and company. Thank you Anne and Peter... I know you read this!


I then headed off to Gravesend on Saturday where I was talking to members of the North Kent Embroiderer's Guild... such a lovely friendly group and I was given a very warm welcome... and cake! Back home it was our turn to have friends for supper on Saturday evening followed by several members of the family here for lunch on Sunday. Although I often make bread using the bread maker I felt the need to knead... and made a batch of Hugh's magic bread dough


Which made amazing bread sticks for dipping while everyone waited for me to produce lunch...


and pretty good pizza for our supper. I'll make that again! And there was pudding which you've seen here before and will probably see again, but Nigella's chocolate Guinness cake is hard to beat... especially with strawberries sprinkled with balsamic vinegar which were quite sublime! Funny but I jumped on the scales this morning and I seem to have gained a couple of pounds since getting back from New Zealand... I wonder why?


There were also some more books made over the weekend... samples for classes this week and a couple more of the matchbox books... but you'll have to wait for another post to see those.

11 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious.
    mmmm home made bread. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I have missed your cakes. :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugh's magic bread dough also makes the most AMAZING flatbreads. Mmmm. Might have to whip up a batch for tea actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it wouldn't take long for cake to rear its head.... so to speak! This one looks particularly yummy though. Can't get my head around chocolate and guinness but whenever I've tried any of her recipes they don't disappoint so it might be on my 'to do' list now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum and yum again! If I jumped on our scales I think I'd break them - I'm not brave enough to even stand on them!
    Looking forward to seeing more matchbox books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't I know about this magic bread dough? Off to get enlightened!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, those scrumptious pictures are enough to make me want to try a recipe or three! I have made note of the cake link.

    Yes, I would say that you've now put jet lag well behind you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh yum! Your pictures are looking scrumptious -- if only you could pass some through the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Doesn't help, Gina! I'm trying to reintroduce the No Sugar rule since falling off the wagon at Easter...but that cake looks like one we have to try anyway! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always inspire me! Chocolate cake and pizza....what could be better than that? I've just got to try Nigella's recipe for the cake. Every time you've posted it, my mouth waters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely grub! Incidentally, you were right about bread making machines - they are addictive, as my hips will testify............

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.