Tuesday 18 September 2012

Messing About on the River


It's my Mum's birthday at the weekend but I won't be around as I'm in Devon for a few days at the end of this week with the Embroiderer's Guild. So as an early birthday treat, yesterday we took her punting on the River Cam. 


 This is Sam's second season as a Cambridge "Punt Pusher" and I'm convinced you won't find a more entertaining tour of those Cambridge Colleges that span the river (yes I know I'm biased but it's true.)


We had almost a full hour of history, folklore and quite possibly a fair bit of Sam's own brand of fiction thrown in for good measure. (Does the Dean of Horticulture really visit Clare College to mow the lawn?)


He kept us captivated and entertained for the entire tour.


I'm still not entirely sure which bits are true and which are fiction... but it doesn't really matter. After all, a good story is a good story, true or otherwise and we all laughed an awful lot.


If you ever fancy taking a punt tour in Cambridge... be sure to go to the "Cambridge Punting Co." on Quayside... and ask for Sam!

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend an hour or two, and the weather looked perfect as well. I'm sure your Mum enjoyed her surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating trip - I am sure the stories add to theentertainment even if they are not true! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll remember to do that !! ;)
    The truth is over rated anyway and mostly quite boring!! :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I roared with laughter re the Dean of Horticulture......... Good to know you were all able to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift for your Mum. And with that sense of humor, it sounds like Sam is the perfect tourguide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you all had a lovely day. I have to admit I've never been on a punt in Cambridge, shocking really for someone who's lived relatively close to the city for most of her life. I really must make an effot to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It rather looks as if your had good weather too.

    Sam's mixing of fact and fiction reminds me of an episode of Morse or Lewis even though they take place in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder who he gets that ability to communicate from... hmm....? Sounds a hoot and a lovely 'family' thing to do for your Mum. Have a great weekend in Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely Julia! This is my first visit in the last 5 months and I think it will probably take me hours to catch up just on your lovely blog. my eye is wandering to those lovely shoes in your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How on earth did I manage to write Julia when I absolutely wrote Gina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine Sam entertaining you all! What a lovely day for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! And now I know exactly where to go to experience the same, thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Cambridge but its on my 'bucket list' so i'm sure I'll get there and I'll definitely book the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.