Sunday 9 December 2012

Day Nine

We've recently had work done on our kitchen/conservatory roof which was why I was painting walls last week. But I've also been revamping some of the furniture including this old pine dresser. I say old, not in a really 'old' nice way but as in in has been knocking about for years while the boys were growing up. It had been used to house art supplies, there were stickers on the cupbard doors and it was generally used as a place to dump all manner of objects without a better home. As a result it had seen better days. The varnish was yellow...
 
 
and as you can see the surface had been badly mistreated.

 
So armed with a couple of cans of Annie Sloan chalk paints (No sanding or prep... I love them!) I first painted on a coat of Duck Egg Blue, followed by a coat of Old White...

 
Then wax, sand down to distress, wax again... and this is the result.

 
I absolutely love it and wish I'd done it years ago.
 I just need to invest in some more old china now... and a couple more of these beautiful glass knobs. I bought four in different colours a couple of years ago on a visit to Anthropologie, when I first started to think I might like to do a make-over on the dresser and didn't realise I actually needed six

 
I'm okay as long as I don't shut the cupboard doors!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks great Gina!
    I always get excited when I hear duck egg blue, I just adore that colour. :)
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely project Gina,it looks so contemporary.I have always been a fan of painted pine even through the natural wood years,it always looks naked without a wash of colour.Good shade of paint,I bet you can't stop looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally like distressed, but I do like that one. I also like the chalk paint finish and gives me an idea for some old cupboards I am hoping to acquire :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - what a transformation! I've not heard of those paints before, I must have a look. I know there are probably many things on my 'I can do it when the kids have grown and gone list' and things aren't quite as tough as they can be now amidst getting ASD into secondary school etc - I know you understand!

    Hope you're well, Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty it looks, Gina! I have heard great things about that paint - must find a good reason to use it sometime (looks round to see if she can re-vamp anything....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we have those paints in Canada yet. And, please Gina...do not knock yourself out on the hunt for china....what a wonderful excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely, must have taken ages. Love the sotry about the handles!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab Gina, well done. I read about the Annie Sloan paints, and that you can just paint them on without any of the boring preparation nonsense.
    And I THINK I may have seen those handles before .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great Gina,well done! It was lovely to see you both today. Look forward to seeing your renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks super. I've heard great things about that paint and it's good to read your endorsement too. It's going on the wish list NOW!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a transformation - no wonder you are thrilled with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks gorgeous Gina, I love painted furniture and have been casting a beady eye around a few pices in my place once I have finished my workroom tidy up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow , love it. Another string to your bow. Interior decoration to the stars... Have you seen how much
    places charge for re vamping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! My friend has done something similar and it makes such a difference doesn't it. Tie some ribbon/thick string through the cupboard door knob holes if you want to be able to shut/open them, worked on an old cupboard door here for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! My friend has done something similar and it makes such a difference doesn't it. Tie some ribbon/thick string through the cupboard door knob holes if you want to be able to shut/open them, worked on an old cupboard door here for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry Kirstie, but who needs your 'Vintage Home' when we can pop into Gina's and get the same effect! I love aqua/soft blue shades. There's just something about the words 'duck egg blue' that makes me want anything that's tagged with the name. I have a sideboard that could do with the Gina treatment... are you available for commissions?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, especially the drawer knobs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.