Saturday 9 March 2013

A Bunch of Biscuits

When browsing blogs it would be easy to imagine we had entered into a perfect world where everyone is wrapped in beautiful crochet blankets, wearing our hand knitted socks and eating slices of perfectly risen sponge cake. But of course, the reality is often far from that glorious air brushed world... and things don't always go according to plan!
 
 
When I spotted these gorgeous biscuits on The Pink Whisk I knew I wanted to give them a try. I guessed they would be fiddly (and I wasn't wrong... they took forever) but I'd set aside an afternoon and took my time, quite determined to make some perfect little biscuits for Mother's Day.

 
Just at the stage where I had almost finished moulding all those tiny roses and leaves I happened to move my flour canister and realised my mistake. I'd used self raising flour instead of plain. There was no way they were going to retain their shape and look like perfect little bouquets. I almost ditched the lot and started again but then I figured that even if they didn't look good there were plenty of people around here willing to eat the results...

 
Which actually weren't quite as bad as I anticipated... just a little bit blobby and not like they were supposed to be!

 
And because they had spread rather more than I anticipated there were quite a few mishapen biscuits too. This one reminds me of that Dali painting of the melting clocks


But they don't taste too bad, even if the consistency is more like a soft cookie rather than a crisp biscuit.

 
And with a bit of pretty packaging I think I might have just got away with it.

 
Which made me think... life is less about being perfect but far more about making the best of things!

25 comments:

  1. They still look great - I love the 'Dali' one! A very good outlook to have on life too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Dali one also, in fact, I like them all, they are very pretty.

    When I read 'a bunch' followed by 'biscuits' I started to get a little uppity since so many people now use the word 'bunch' to mean more than several of anything which, to my mind, is sloppy language. Your use though, was forgiven because of the flowers which do come in bunches. I am sure that the recipients will be more than happy to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY - I would be very happy to receive these for Mother;s Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty - and what a very touching and thoughtful gift. It's the little things, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..... and also having lots of fun in the process. I guess you did enjoy making these Gina? They may not be perfect but I would be extremely happy to receive them as a Mother's Day gift (fat chance with a boy lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother always said it was more important that food tasted good than whether it looked good. It is nice when you achieve both and your biscuits still look very attractive. You can't be perfect all the time Gina - it makes the rest of us feel inadequate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not the perfect outcome that counts, but rather all the love that went into their creation. A lovely Mother's Day gift, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they're wonderful, after all if we wanted perfection, we'd buy mass produced rubbish, I bet they tasted gorgeous too, what a real labour of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to convince my daughter to make these but she decided on cakepops instead. Where did you find the gel colours in the end? They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're perfect just as they are, because you made them for your Mum - as others have said before me, it's the love that went into them that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How your heart must have sunk - unlike the biscuits, when you saw your mistake! After all that hard work. However they look wonderful even if a little spread, and I'm sure no one would have guessed or cared as long as they taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it just! And I rather like their rustic, homely look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fantastic looking Biscuites. They look too good to eat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely!
    I think they turned out ok, I was expecting them to have grown much more than they did, the little flowers are lovely!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gina, I doubt your Mum will give a fig what they should have looked like. She will love them because you made them for her and there can be no better way to send your love on Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh they look lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely biscuits obviously made with love, I'm sure your Mum was pleased with them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, see your mistake was in showing us the first ones. If we hadn't seen those, we'd have had nothing to compare. They still looked lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am trying so hard not to be in blogland so much in blogland and see more things I want to try. (In an attempt to get unfinished projects FINISHED!). BUT these babies....... oh wow! You are too hard on yourself. They turned out pretty damned good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They still look amazing. And I very nearly did the same flour swap today!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a bit late catching up, but the biscuits are amazing, and if you hadn't told us about the wrong flour we would never have known. I'll bet they were all eaten in a flash. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how cute are they. I bet they tasted lovely, you have a lot of patience to do something that fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Considering these officially went wrong they are the smartest looking biscuits I have ever seen!! Belated Happy Mother's Day Gina - I loved your sock message :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I fell in love with these biscuits when I saw them on the Pink Whisk too, and attempted them last week - but it was a stiflingly hot Australian summer's day and the pastry for the flowers kept drying out and cracking. Yes, they are fiddly. Mine certainly didn't look like Ruths, but they are such pretty biscuits and so inviting that I think people can forgive our mistakes. Yours looked a lot more like they should, than mine did!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.