Sunday 10 March 2013

Crochet Cupcake

As promised... a pattern for miniature crochet cupcakes.
A present from me to you on Mother's Day
 
 
Using a 2 mm crochet hook and a fine yarn (such as 4 ply) in a colour suitable for your cupcake case, make a magic ring to start. Do this by forming a loop with your yarn and hold in firmly where the yarn is double.

 
Insert the hook into the loop and draw the yarn back through the centre of loop.

 
Make a double crochet stitch (I'm using UK crochet terms)

 
Continue making double crochet (dc) stitches into the loop until you have a total of eight stitches.

 
Pull the tail end of the yarn, closing the ring so that the stitches forrm a tight circle and then join the first and last stitches with a slip stitch.

 
Row 1: Make 1 chain, 1 dc into first stitch, 2 dc into each of the following 7 stitches (16 stitches)
Row 2: Work 1 dc into each of the stitches in the previous row, working into the back loop of the stitch as shown below (this forms a ridge that marks the edge of the base of the cupcake case) (16 stitches)


 
Rows 3 - 6: Work dc into each stitch of previous row, working into both loops of the stitch as shown.(16 stitches)

 
Row 8: Picot edge - * Make 2 chain, slip stitch into next stitch working into the front loop of the stitch only, as shown**. Repeat from * to ** 15 times more. fasten off yarn.


 
Change to cake coloured yarn.
Row 9: Working into the back loop of the stitches of the last dc row (row 7), make a dc into each stitch. (16 stitches)
Row 10: Work 1 dc into each stitch of previous row. (16 stitches) Fasten off yarn.
 
 
Rows 11 & 12: Change to pink (or icing coloured) yarn and work two rows of dc (16 stitches).
At this stage, insert a small circle of firm card (approx 1.5 cm diameter), or a penny, into the base of the cake and fill the case with a small ball of polyester toy stuffing.
Row 13: Decrease row. *Insert hook into next stitch and draw yarn through (2 stitches on hook), insert hook into next stitch and draw yarn through (3 stitches on hook) Draw yarn through all 3 stitches**. Repeat from * to ** 7 more times (8 stitches) If necessary add more stuffing at this stage.

 
Row 14: As row 13 (4 stitches)
Row 15: As row 13 (2 stitches)
Pull yarn through stitches to fasten off. Weave in all loose ends and finish by working a French knot in a dark pink/red yarn on top of cake.

 
Having seen these photos again, I think what I need for Mother's Day is a decent manicure... but in fact I'm getting something much better. I have almost a full contingent of sons at home and Ben is coming up from London to cook me and my Mum lunch. And there is promise of some wonderful Mediterranean food inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi. I can't wait!
 
Wishing all Mums out there a wonderful Mother's Day.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to you too Gina. Enjoy your meal! I'm going round to Daughter no.1 later for tea and cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day! I've just had enormous breakfast with two croissants. And butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're very cute, great tutorial too! I love the term 'cake coloured yarn', it's a shade I actually love and would wear a lot, I will forever refer to it now as cake coloured! :)
    Enjoy your Mothers Day with your boys!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have all your boys at home together - have a great day.
    Your cup cakes look very delectable and not a calorie in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know 2 little girls who would love a plateful of these little crocheted cupcakes for their play house. Thanks for the fab tutorial. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day Gina. Thank you for the tutorial, i will have to give it a go. Need to but some yarn and a crochet hook first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Gina Happy Mothers Day to you too. I love the pattern for the cakes and might try making them after i finish my current project. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect little cakes. Thank you for the tutorial, I will definitely have a go, they can't be any more stress-making than the cooked variety xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mothering Day to you, Gina, and many thanks for sharing the crochet recipe for the sweet little cupcakes.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh even the magic ring eludes me in crochet but I have a friend who is a master. I'll have to organise a skills swap with her to get my own little set of cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the crochet instructions with the photos, I've been wanting to get a cake stand for ages but I wanted to have knitted cakes on it, so now I can crochet ones. Yours look so lovely.
    Glad you had your boys home for MD, hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How TINY are those?!? I suddenly realised the scale when I saw the picture of the base on your finger. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely lovely. We nearly went to Ottolenghi for Mothers Day lunch but the queue was madness. Hope you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are adorable. Happy Belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the tutorial. I will have a go at making one but I've no idea what I'll do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh hope you had a great Mother's Day. the cupcakes are lovely - my daughter is teaching herself to crochet at the moment with the help of her Mum-in-law so shall pass her the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute, cute, cute! Hope you had a splendid Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.