Tuesday 6 January 2015

Bonkers!

Somehow, certainly through this blog, I seem to give the impression that I'm able to fit more into my hours than others. At least that is how it seems from some of the comments and emails I receive. Yet it really is a very skewed perception. Yes, I am busy... I teach, I try to make art although not nearly as much as I would like and I have plenty of other interests. Yet I never really feel as though I have the time to truely get on top of things. I'm forever chasing my tail and getting things done at the last minute no matter how organised I plan to be. I might come across as calm and serene but you want to see the jumble inside my head. It won't surprise you to know I don't sleep well!
 
 
Perhaps this is normal, I don't know, but what I do know is that at times my life feels like it is completely bonkers! I often wish for a simpler, more serene life where I feel in control. Yesterday felt like the proper start to the New Year for me. Holidays over, family members back to work/University... and time for me to assess and reflect over what is on the cards for January.


And already it feels like madness. An exhibition to organise, another to make work for, a major commission to complete, two City & Guilds weekends, plus regular weekly teaching to plan... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. And I really, really did want things to be different this year... I sensed change and I'm determined to achieve it somehow.

 
So no New Years resolutions for me... I'd like to eat more heathily, lose a few pounds, exercise more regularly but don't we all. And I've tried having a word as my focus for the year as seems to be the current trend... I tried BALANCE a couple of years ago... that was a joke! And anyway, I forgot all about it after about three weeks (just like normal New Year Resolutions really) So this year I've done something different... I've chosen a word to remind me what I don't want my life to be like this year...
BONKERS!
And if I fail... at least it makes me smile!

19 comments:

  1. You could always adopt my motto "Just Say 'No'"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes Bonkers was a word that cropped up a lot for me during last year! Believe it or not at the beginning of 2014 I chose my word and it was 'calm'. That lasted 2 days if I remember rightly. No word as such for me this year!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about 'Enjoy'? Then you can do anything you like.... And it will feel good. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once tried to organise my life and made myself a weekly timetable covering all my various tasks. I think it lasted two days when, by Tuesday evening, I hadn't even managed to start Monday morning's jobs!
    Actually it does surprise me that you don't sleep well. With all your commitments I'd be exhausted. Would it help if you took on a bit less and allowed yourself some 'me' time in which to relax. Whatever you decide, enjoy being Bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a good idea. You can take it any way you like, and whatever happens, however you look back on the year there can be no perception of failure with that one! I hope that the year isn't too bonkers and that you can get some balance, but I know that is hard to do! Best wishes for a great year. I love the babies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! Love the sock creatures, they really sum up my own state of mind. You are not alone with the not sleeping thing, I am always too wired to relax. And I'm failing miserably at "choosing" or "choice". See, not only am I still online at bedtime but I can't even choose one word....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I like your little twist on selecting a word!! I know you think your life is bonkers at times but maybe that's just how your roll Gina, serene and calm might bore you to tears!!
    A lovely blog friend left a comment on my blog recently, where she wished 2015 would be 'sunnier and bunnier' for me, I like that and think that will be my word(s) for this year!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes people think I do a huge amount of stuff, but when you blog, you don't detail every single thing you do, you choose the highlights. If you are not doing a regular nine to five type job, there are quite a few highlights that are different to a "normal" day. I think you are like me in so far as I wouldn't have time to do a normal job and besides, as someone else has already commented, normal would bore the pants off me and possibly you too. So here's to a non-normal year, full of interesting projects and interesting people to meet and I pray we don't drop down exhausted at some point in the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not surprised you don't sleep well either, Gina, I should think your head is too full of plans for the next day/week/month once you're in bed, in the dark and no other distractions to stop you thinking.
    I get frustrated that I haven't done enough, artistically in a day, but some domesticity is unavoidable.
    I love your choice of word and I think it might just work this year, at least it'll make you smile when you think of it and your baby bonkers.
    I'm new to the keyword thing so this year I've chosen ENJOY if I don't enjoy doing it then I won't do it, that's the plan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your 'bonkers' toys. Sounds like you thrive on being (quite) busy. I remember reading about an exhibition you were in last year. If there's ever a textile exhibition in London. Please let me know, I would love to see it and perhaps blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like bonkers. It is a way of life I think, although sometimes a bonkers life can be a bit overwhelming. I select a theme for the year because being a (bonkers) perfectionist, I would just overdo it! I hope sleep finds you better tonight. I find listening to a radio program with a male presenter (ideally deep bass voice) sends me off to the land of nod in no time, particularly if it is on a topic that needs concentrating. I try to concentrate and whoops, Iam asleep. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for a non-bonkers year!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha -- that's my kind of word -- I much prefer the non-serious, fun, and crazy word choices. Bonkers is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina, Bonkers does have a certain resonance!

    I've just read another post, at The Textile Blog, about the EU VAT change, and thought it might interest you.

    The link is
    thetextileblog.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm can't get Dizzy Rascals Bonkers out of my head now :) Good word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Bonkers dolls - it's as good a word for the year as any - go with the flow! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these Bonkers ~ they're adorable!

    And yeah, I agree with you on resolutions ~ haven't done them in years. So ... here's to whatever comes. And may it all be welcome!

    Merry creating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonkers is good! It will give you an excuse for everything ;-) Happy new year! x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.