Tuesday 7 July 2015

I do like to be beside the seaside

When Stewart asked what I wanted to do for my birthday this week I knew straight away I wanted to go to the seaside.
 
 
We set off early Monday morning and headed to the Suffolk coast. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to go to Aldeburgh or Southwold but we plumped for Aldeburgh so I could see the wonderful Maggi Hambling sculpture on the beach.
 
 
"Scallop", a four meter high steel sculpture, is a tribute to the composer Benjamin Britten and the words "I hear those voices that will not be drowned" are taken from Peter Grimes. 
It is fabulous and wonderfully tactile.
 
 
I then indulged in a little bit of paddling... can't possible go to the seaside and not dip my toes in! I resisted  going in for a swim though as even in July the North Sea is a bit on the cold side!
 
 
We then wandered back up the stony beach to the town where we bought fish and chips, which we ate from the paper sitting on the Promenade.
 
 
As it was still early we decided we could manage to fit in Southwold too so drove up the coast via Snape Maltings... where we indulged in a little shopping!

 
Do not be fooled by the sun shimmering on the sea at Southwold... by the time we had walked along the pier the wind was whipping up a storm and we just had time for a quick ice cream before the rain set in and we headed home.
 
Back home there was a bottle of champagne in the fridge along with a box of chocolates and a DVD (The DVD wasn't in the fridge!)... a perfect end to a perfect day. Not exactly a day of healthy eating but it is only once a year!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very special day to me x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds liike a healthy eating day to me - and a Happy Birthday to you too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. birthday by the sea - me too.
    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous day!
    A belated Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Gina!!
    Sounds like you had the perfect day! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, who would wish for healthy eating restrictions on her birthday...certainly not me. I wish you a very Happy Birthday! Aldeburgh is an intriguing place, and I do hope to visit it eventually.

    It's gotten quite hot here recently, with frequent afternoon rains, even thunderstorms. Think this must truly be summer...and I'm overdue for that first ice cream cone.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect day to me! A belated happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Love that bit of the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a very happy Birthday Gina. Your day out at the seaside sounds blissful. Nothing can beat eating fish and chips from paper, sea breeze in your hair, seagulls hovering overhead. I hope the rest of the week is perfect, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday. My kids swam in the North Sea at the weekend, at Sea Palling in Norfolk. Like you, I paddled and did not in the least feel that I was missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated birthday. Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a perfect birthday treat, and if you can't indulge a bit on your birthday it's a bad job. I have lovely memories of family holidays at Thorpeness, just along the coast from Aldeburgh. I hope it hasn't changed too much - it must be 50 years since we were last there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks like a perfect birthday treat, my kinda day (belated Happy Birthday to you!).

    The Maggi Hambling sculpture is beautiful.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful sculpture...sounds like you had a lovely day! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect birthday treat Gina. Fish and chips always taste better from the paper and on a seafront.Many Happy Returns

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated birthday wishes to you. A day at the seaside is the best way to spend July birthdays ( you are a Cancer after all).

    I'm off to Aldeburgh this weekend. There may be fish and chips, Christmas Pudding ice cream and paddling too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated Birthday Gina, sounds like you had a wonderful day. Thank you for the photos, which brought back lovely memories of Aldeburgh, Snape and Southwold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy (belated) birthday! Looks like a great place, and champagne is the healthiest drink I know of! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed it - I had a surprise holiday in Normandy. I love Aldeburgh and Snape Maltings. The fish and chip shop closest to the beach is best, I think. So glad that you had a good birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.