Saturday 5 August 2017

Random Moments in Another Week

In a moment of rather ambitious optimism and because I really would like to introduce more art back into my life I thought I might do a little sketchbook project in August... I've done it before, a couple of posts each week with ideas of drawing in sketchbooks*, starting on 1st August with you joining in if you fancied it. 1st August came and went and I can tell you now it's not going to happen. Plenty of other things happened, but not sketchbooks.

  • There was a day out painting with my Mum last week. Despite doing A level art I've not really been taught to paint and especially not painting abstracts in acrylic, so it was new to me. I was aiming for a "buildings along a shoreline" sort of impression and surprised myself in that I actually quite like it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it mind you... it's big Next week we're off for a day watercolour painting, so looking forward to that.
  • I've grown radishes! Four rows of seeds planted and this was the sum total of my harvest. I had hopes of beautiful jars of pickled radish, but that's another thing that's not going to happen. Since you ask, the bindweed and thistles however are coming on a storm, thank you (speaking of which, storms that is... it's like the tropics out there, torrential rain like I've not seen in a years)
  • The radish may have been disappointing but look... I've grown aubergine! No greenhouse, they are just plonked in the veg beds amid the bindweed! I had to take a photo just in case they don't survive as I'm not sure when they are ready to pick (any advice welcome). Last year I grew melons but the dog thought they were tennis balls... needless to say we didn't get to eat homegrown melon!
  • I was taken out  for tapas by four friends who couldn't make it to my birthday celebrations. It was a lovely evening that started with gin served in goldfish bowls. (okay, not literally). Gin and pink grapefruit is a match made in heaven... just saying! The evening finished with probably a glass too many of red wine and I may have felt a little out of sorts when I walked the dog at 6.15 the following morning. But it was worth it.
  • Stewart has a new job and started on Tuesday, back commuting into London. All going well so far and no cancelled trains... yet.
  • I made a cake... well actually I have made five cakes, brownies, granola bars and cheese scones since Monday but this was probably the prettiest of them all.
  • We watched the athletics on TV and the dog was obsessed. He doesn't usually pay any attention to the telly but I think he was trying to work out how he could chase the runners! Lovely watching Mo win the 10,000m.
So that's another week done and dusted. 
*Should you be the least bit interested and have more time on your hands than me you can find previous sketchbook tutorial posts here and here! I don't think I'll be joining you though.

13 comments:

  1. Well done you, love the abstract, congrats to Stewart hopefully catch up soonish (although I have just started a lovely summer cold) so I won't inflict that on you. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not very busy then. The radish are a beautiful colour, you could paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your painting is wonderful - I see buildings along the shoreline, lights and lovely reflections. So clever. Love the cake too - sad about the radishes. Hope the aubergines survive these feisty little storms we keep having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your abstract very much. I dislike using acrylics, they always felt 'dead' on my brush; I much prefer watercolours, I get much happier accidents with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you may not have started your sketchbook but you're still squeezing in some art.
    Good to know that aubergines like bindweed, actually we were out for dinner last night and I had stuffed aubergine...it was amazing you would have loved it!!
    Three weddings in three months sounds like the title of a film! ;) Congrats to the newly engaged couple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your abstract acrylic painting, it is what I like most of all, abstract painting. I bet the gin was Brockman's. It tastes a little of pink grapefruit even before you add it. My favourite tipple at the moment. Have fun with the watercolours next week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your abstract acrylic painting, I hope you have fun with the watercolours. How sweet that the dog likes the athletics, I've got a ticket for Thursday evening and am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mixed bag, but overall goodness which is good isn't it! Hope that the aubergines keep doing well and that you get some more radishes - you could probably sow some more seeds if you wanted as they grow quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your abstract painting - beautiful colours and reflections. Another talent revealed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous cake and aubergines and the gin looks pretty delicious too. Love the last picture as it made me giggle imagining him chasing round the track.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another busy week Gina -- enhanced, it appears, with Gin LOL! I always love seeing your beautiful baked creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake would make a fabulous wedding hat. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very pretty cake and those aubergines are impressive (though I've been harvesting blueberries here. Four in total. That's berries, not pounds). Lovely to hear your birthday celebrations continue.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.